Friday, July 4, 2008

Astounding Stats

The other day I was reading Not for Sale, a book that Colleen let me borrow to read, by David Batstone. In the intro of the book, a few stats jumped out to me that I would like to share with you all. According to a 2004 UN study called Ten Million Children Exploited for Domestic Labor, a list was created containing the amount of children slaves in five specific countries:
  • Indonesia: 700,000
  • Brazil: 559,000
  • Pakistan: 264,000
  • Haiti: 250,000
  • Kenya: 200,000

I, personally, was taken back when I saw these numbers. I couldn't believe that in Indonesia alone the amount of children slaves are higher than the amount of people living in four American states and terrorties. This is a staggering number and it is a lot to fathom. I hope that this little, yet very large list of statistis is just another motivation for all of us to move forward with this great and worthy cause to help fellow men, women, and children while changing the world.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Thanks for the post Chris. The numbers continue to strike me as unbelievable but not unbeatable.